I love blueberries – and now’s the time to stock up. I buy them, put them on a sheet pan and freeze them individually, so they don’t end up in a big clump. I store them in the freezer and can easily get a handful for a recipe, or just to add to my oatmeal.
Here’s a recipe from allrecipes.com for Blueberry Crumb bars, that uses fresh or frozen berries. These bars would be a great dessert to take to your July Fourth picnic or barbecue – no plate or fork needed.
Blueberry Crumb Bars
- 1 cup white granulated sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3 cup all purpose flour
- zest of 2 lemons
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, cold, cut into cubes
- 4 cups blueberries, fresh or frozen
- 1/2 cup white granulated sugar
- 3 tsp cornstarch
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Line a 9×13 pan with parchment paper. Spray with nonstick spray.
- Put 1 cup sugar, baking powder, flour, lemon zest and salt in a food processor. Pulse to blend.
- In a small bowl, whisk the egg and vanilla until combined.
- Add egg mixture to the processor, along with the butter.
- Process to blend. Mixture will be crumbly and butter will be broken into smaller pieces.
- Pat half the dough into the prepared pan.
- Stir together the 1/2 cup sugar and cornstarch. Add blueberries and toss gently with hands to coat the berries.
- Layer the blueberry mixture over the crust. Sprinkle the remaining dough over the berries.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until the top is slightly brown.
- Cool completely before cutting into squares.