I LOVE fruit desserts. This Apple Crisp is one of my favorites. There’s no crust, so it’s a breeze to put together and you can substitute lots of other fruits (blueberries are great!) This recipe is an adaption of a recipe from The Silver Palate Good Times Cookbook.
Apple Crisp (Serves 6)
- 5 apples, peeled and sliced ( for a more rustic dish, leave the skins on). I prefer the tartness of a Granny Smith apple, but I often mix several varieties.
- 1 1/2 Tblsp lemon juice
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Grease a 8 inch dish.
- Place sliced apples in the dish, in layers, sprinkling with lemon juice. Press down to an even level.
- Blend the flour, sugar, cinnamon and salt in the food processor. Add the butter and pulse until the mixture resembles course meal.
- Press crumb mixture evenly over apples making sure the edges seal.
- Bake for one hour.
- Serve warm with whipped cream or ice cream.