The Super Bowl is now two weeks away. So while the teams are being determined, my question for you is – what do you like to serve at your Super Bowl party?
I like to serve chili as the main dish. But I also offer a variety of appetizers. Here are two recipes that I served at a recent football party – Mexican Dip and Artichoke Dip.
Ladies – Guys LOVE this dish !! It’s hearty and the full recipe makes alot. I often make the full meat portion and then freeze half of it. Half the recipe will fit into a pie plate or 8×8 dish.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lbs hot sausage (I like breakfast sausage, but you can also use hot italian sausage meat)
- 1 envelope of onion soup mix
- 6 oz salsa/picante sauce
- 16 oz cream cheese
- 16 oz sour cream
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 8 oz grated cheddar cheese
- Tostitos scoops
- salsa/picante sauce for topping
- Remove any sausage casings and brown the ground beef and sausage in a large saute pan. Use a spatula to turn the meat and break up any big chunks of meat.
- Halfway through the browning process, add the dry onion soup mix.
- Drain the meat VERY well. This is KEY – or the dish will be far too greasy! First, put the meat in a colander to drain and then spread the meat , in a single layer, on a sheet pan covered with three layers of paper towels.
- Put the drained meat into a large bowl and stir in the picante sauce. ( I often prepare the recipe to this stage and freeze in two portions.)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Put the meat mixture into a 9×13 or slightly larger dish. (If you’ve frozen the meat, thaw first.)
- Mix the cream cheese, sour cream and garlic powder, until blended.
- Layer the creamy mixture on top of the meat.
- Cover the cream cheese layer with the shredded cheese.
- Bake until the cheese is melted and the edges of the dish are bubbling. ( approx 30 minutes)
- Serve with Tostitos scoops and offer extra salsa/picante sauce as a topping.
It seems like I’ve been making this dip forever. But my friends love it! I have even been asked to make a big batch for an at-home wedding reception. I always keep a can of artichokes in my pantry, so that I can have this ready in minutes!
- 1 can artichokes, drained and chopped.
- 1/2 cup mayonaise (I prefer Hellman’s)
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese ( I actually prefer the Kraft grated parmesan in the green cannister for this.)
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic power
- Cayenne pepper or paprika ( optional)
Note: I prefer this dish a little chunky. If you’d like a smoother consistancy, chop the artichokes more finely and increase both the mayonaise and parmesan cheese to 3/4 cup.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Mix the artichokes, mayonaise and parmesan cheese and put into a 2 cup casserole dish.
- Sprinkle cayenne pepper or paprika , sparingly on top. (optional)
- Bake for 10-15 minutes until dip is bubbling.
- Serve immediately with crackers.
Note: For best results , use the baking instructions above. This dip does not do well in the microwave, for inital baking nor reheating.