Here’s a recipe for a great meatless appetizer- perfect for a buffet or holiday meal- Spinach Stuffed Mushrooms. It’s wonderful for entertaining, because the filling can be prepared in advanced – then popped in the oven for a quick 8-10 minutes, just before your guests arrive. I made these twice this month alone – once for a pot luck and on Christmas. For the pot luck, I prepared these using small, pop-in-your mouth mushrooms. For Christmas I used larger mushroom so they could be served as a first course – using a fork. Either way, they were delicious.
Spinach Stuffed Mushrooms (adapted from Silver Palate)
- 12 medium mushroom caps, de-stemmed and cleaned (see note below)
- 1 Tblsp olive oil
- 1 Tbslp butter
- 1.2 cup finely chopped onions
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 Tblsp chopped walnuts
- 5 oz frozen spinach, defrosted and drained(well)
- 1 oz feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 oz gruyere cheese, crumbled
- 2 Tblsp fresh dill, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- shredded parmesan cheese for topping
- Heat oil and butter. (Note: this may seem like alot of oil/butter, but I’ve tried it with less and always end up adding additional oil.)
- Add onions and cook on medium heat, covered, stirring occasionally for 15 minutes, until tender.
- Add walnuts and garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add spinach and cook for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
- Add feta, gruyere and dill. Season with salt and pepper.
- Refrigerate filling alone, or fill mushrooms and refrigerate until ready to cook.
- Fill mushroom caps with stuffing forming a mound.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Sprinkle the filled mushrooms with parmesan cheese.
- Cook mushrooms for 8-10 minutes.
Note: when cleaning mushrooms with a slightly damp paper towl or mushroom brush. DO NOT use water directly on the mushrooms.