Picnic season is here! Where do you like to picnic? At the park, beach, tailgating at a ballgame or fireworks show? At a rest stop on the way to your vacation destination? Maybe on a blanket in the backyard? Perhaps at an open air concert – my favorite!
This recipe is a great dish for taking ‘on the road’. It has always been one of my favorite chicken dishes. Growing up, my mom served it warm, with mashed or scalloped potatoes, for a wonderful comfort meal. But it’s also great cool or at room temperature – making it a great pick for a picnic. I usually use halved chicken breasts, but it’s also good with chicken tenderloins, which kids love. Try the tenderloins on a salad. Yum!
- 1 1/2 lbs chicken breasts, cleaned and cut into preferred portion size
- 1 stick butter
- Pepperidge Farm Herbed Stuffing Mix
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
- Melt the butter in the microwave, in a medium size bowl.
- Place the stuffing mix in a gallon ziptop bag. Crush the stuffing with a rolling pin to break up any large pieces. (This method provides a more rustic crust than using a processor.)
- Dip both sides of the chicken pieces in butter and toss in the stuffing mix.
- Place the chicken in a single layer in a baking dish or sheet. Drizzle the remaining butter and some of the leftover stuffing over the chicken.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Serve warm or cold.
Btw- this recipe works great with pork chops too! Althought I usually serve the pork warm.