I love having friends with gardens. You know, I live in a condo with nowhere to have the herb garden of my dreams. So, how excited was I to receive some basil from a friend last week! I ran right home and made some pesto. This recipe makes 1 1/2 cups, so I froze it in three 1/2 cup portions. I love to keep some pesto in the freezer, so I can jazz up recipes in a jiffy. Pesto is so versatile – here are some easy ideas:
- Add to sour cream , for a quick dip.
- Spread over cream cheese and sprinkle with pine nuts for an easy appetizer.
- Add to hot pasta – either straight with tomatoes and yellow peppers or add it to a cream sauce.
- Stir it into cold pasta for a fabulous pasta salad.
- Use it instead of a tomato sauce on pizza
- Add a little to mashed potatoes
Just remember, a little goes a long way!