Necessity is the mother of invention. And so it was, I had friends coming over and had no sugar in the house. This was a problem because I was planning to make a peach and blueberry crisp using the same recipe as my apple crisp, which , you guessed it , includes sugar. So onto the internet…. what did we do without it !!! After a little browsing, I put together the crisp using oatmeal and brown sugar. It was such a hit that I was asked to make it again the following weekend!
The first time around, I’d used the processor for all the mixing and cinnamon as the only spice and the topping was not quite as rustic as I wanted. So for the repeat performance,I tried some different spices and put the crust together by hand. I like the second version much better.
Here’s two photos of the crisp. The first photo shows the topping made totally in the processor. It’s a smoother mixture, The second photo shows the more rustic topping.
Rustic Peach and Blueberry Crisp (makes 1-10 inch crisp)
- 7 peaches (varying the ripeness of the peaches will improve texture in the crisp)
- 1 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1 cup oatmeal
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 Tblsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick), cut into pieces
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Peel and slice the peaches. (Some find it easier to peel them by putting the peaches, a few at a time, into boiling water for a few minutes then shocking them in ice water. I find this only works half the time.)
- Place the sliced peaches and blueberries in a large ( 10 inch) pie pan or dish.
- Mix the oatmeal , brown sugar, flour ,cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and salt in a bowl.
- Cut the butter into the crumb mixture using your hands.
- Top the fruit with the crumb mixture. Cover as much fruit as possible and seal the edges.
- Bake the crisp for 40-50 minutes until bubbling. Hint: put some foil or a sheet pan on the rack beneath the crisp in case it bubbled over (trust me on this one!)
- Serve warm with ice cream or whipped cream.