With the holidays coming up I decided I’d watch my carbs and eat more veggies for the next few weeks. I find that cutting back on carbs for 1 or 2 meals a day makes a big difference. So I got out my recipe book and found this recipe. I hadn’t made it in years. Now I’m asking myself, why not??!! The cardamom provides a different flavor that makes you think hmmm… what is that?
This would be a nice addition to your Thanksgiving menu, both for the taste and the color. It can be made ahead and put in the oven, for a final heating, while the turkey is resting.
Carrot Puree (serves eight)
- 4 lbs carrots, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces.
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- Simmer the carrots in water until tender, about 30 minutes.
- Drain the carrots and mix with the other ingredients.
- Transfer mixture to a food processor and process to desired smoothness.
- Return to a sauce pan and cook over low heat stirring, for 3 minutes OR put in a baking dish , covered with foil, and bake for 25 minutes at 350 degrees F.