Here’s a quick, easy recipe for blueberry muffins, to get your holiday weekend off to a great start. It takes no time to put together and you don’t’ even need a mixer – in fact it’s preferable to make these muffins the old-fashioned way , with a large bowl and a wooden spoon, so you don’t get blue batter by overbeating. The recipe calls for frozen blueberries, which I find makes it easier to mix the batter – and makes it an anytime treat. I look out for good deals on blueberries, when the’re in season. I bring them home, freeze them on a cookie sheet and pop the individually frozen berries in a container. Since they’re not frozen in a clump it’s easy to grab a handful to add to a dish.
Blueberry Muffins (makes 1 dozen muffins)
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup sugar
- 3 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup melted butter, slightly cooled
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Line a muffin pan with muffin liners
- Place the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl and stir to combine.
- Add the blueberries and stir lightly, making sure the blueberries are ‘coated’ with the flour mixture.
- Add the milk, egg and butter to the dry ingredients and stir until just moistened. (Be gentle, you don’t want blue batter)
- Spoon the batter into the muffins cups.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes. Test with a toothpick after 20 minutes.
- Remove muffins from the oven and cool on a wire rack.
Recipe from Muffin Mania