I volunteered to bake some goodies for a bake sale at work. Staring at the overripe bananas on my counter- I decided to make banana bread. Everyone has their favorite banana bread recipe. This old favorite from The New York Times Cookbook, is a little more cake like , not quite as heavy as some recipes.
Banana Tea Bread (makes one loaf)
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cups shortening
- 2/3 cups sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup bananas, peeled and mashed
- Preheat oven to 350 F degrees
- Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together. Set aside.
- Cream the shortening in a stand mixer. Add sugar gradually and mix until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs and beat well.
- Add flour mixture alternately with bananas and beat until smooth.
- Pour batter into a well greased 8 1/2 inch loaf pan.
- Bake 45-60 minutes. If baking in a glass dish, make sure the bottom of the loaf is not getting too brown.