A few weeks ago , we surprised my Mom for her 80th birthday. Since the party was 3 weeks in advance, she was totally surprised. Our hostess went all out, making homemade scalloped potatoes, freshly steamed veggies and bread pudding. It was all delicious, but I was completely impressed with the easy preparation of the Sole Almondine. This recipe is definitely an example of less is more.
I’ve since made it myself. I used cod which is a thicker fish, so baking time increased to 35 minutes.
Baked Sole Almondine (serves 6)
Ingredients: (amounts are approximate)
- 1/2 stick of butter (1/2 of it softened)
- 2 lemons
- 6 sole fillets
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Spread the softened butter on the bottom of a 13×9 inch baking dish.
- Squeeze the juice of 1 lemon over the butter.
- Place the fish over the butter.
- Cut the hard butter into cubes.
- Sprinkle some of the butter cubes over the fish.
- Squeeze the juice of the remaining lemon over the fish.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle the almonds on top of the fish.
- Bake,uncovered, for 20 minutes.
- Serve immediately.